19 February 2013

Free Form Crochet - Hyperbolic Tutorial


The Hyperbolic Scrumble

Scrumble-Along  

Free Form Crochet

Join me in an online Scrumble making frenzy of crocheting freedom and enjoyment.

Rules -
  • You can alter and change the stitches whenever you want to
  • You use whatever wool. yarn, or thread you have to hand
  • Feel free to do your own thing
My most important Rule for Free Form Crochet Scrumbling is this:- 
  • Adapt, change, disregard, add, adjust, customize, harmonize, modify, turn, change colour, reject, change hook size, use weird or unusual thread combinations......... (do you get the idea?)
I'd love to see photos of scrumbles you create from this "Scrumble-Along" event. 
Leave a comment below to let me know where I can find your photos.

Scrumbles do not usually have instructions or a pattern to follow as they are meant to be totally innovative, unique and have a "free-form" style.
I have included the stitches I used to make my scrumbles only as a guideline for you to follow as much or as little as you wish.

 You do not have to follow my instructions exactly as written. Feel free to alter, change and modify to suit yourself.

  The Hyperbolic Scrumble

 
  
These instructions are using English crochet terminology. I have included the American crochet terms at the end of the article for your convenience if you should need it. 
Abbreviations key is at the end too.
This scrumble uses one colour and creates a highly textured 3-D scrumble to your collection and is one of my favourites. Very "organic" looking.



Don't worry if you loose count of what st to do. The exact number of stitches does not matter. The idea is just to increase the number of stitches on each subsequent round.

Ch5, sl st to 1st ch to make a ring.
Round 1: 16 dc into ring. Close round with a sl st to 1st dc made. (Do not turn)
Round 2: Ch3 (counts as 1st tr, throughout). 1 tr in same st, *1 tr in each of next 2 sts. 2 tr in next st*. Repeat from asterisk * to the end of the round and close this round (and all following rounds) with a sl st to top of the ch3 starting stitch.
Round 3: Ch3, 1 tr in same st, *2 tr in next st, 1 tr in next st* repeat till end of round and close round as before.



Round 4: Ch3, 1 tr in same st. 2 tr in each st to end of round. Close round as before, cut yarn and finish off.



You can, if you want to, make a "fuller" ball by carrying on with more rounds (repeat increase rounds and/or 4 as many times as required).

Have fun.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~




If you want to use American terminology you will have to change my stitch names for the following:-

 UK................................................USA
dc (double crochet) ......  =  ........ sc (single crochet)
tr  (treble)........................  =  ....... dc (double crochet)


Universal
sl st (slip stitch)
ch (chain)
st (stitch)
sts (stitches)

Happy Stitching

8 comments:

  1. oooh....fun!! I have a book around (somewhere) on scrumbling and must search it out. I had great plans at the time of 'covering' a denim tote bag with it and ended up putting the book away and forgetting all about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great tutorial! I just want to let you know that I linked to this page from my latest post, "Learn Freeform Crochet: 15 Free Tutorials to Get You Started" at http://craftscrazy.com/learn-freeform-crochet-15-free-tutorials-to-get-you-started/.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the link to my tutorial Beth. Great to have all those tuts in one place.

      Delete
    2. Thank you beth forlink. Ive not tried this efore so will read more then Off to a adventure. TY

      Delete
  3. Cyra,
    I pinned the link for the 15 freeform tutorials found on craftcrazy.com ~ the website seems to be down! I would love to be able to find those 15 freeform tutorials...PLEASE HELP! Thanks so much. Etna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh dear. I cant get to that page either. I get a notice that says "this page contains too many server redirects".
      I would suggest you contact Beth Parker (above) to let her know she has a problem on her website page.

      Delete
  4. Anonymous00:29

    use this link that she originally posted, :) http://craftscrazy.com/learn-freeform-crochet-15-free-tutorials-to-get-you-started/.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you very much for your very specific directions!!! i cant wait to start making them !!!! Elma

    ReplyDelete